At Greenfield Community College we are commited to providing a stable careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) programme to all learners, to provide them with the knowledge and skills required to make successful transitions to the next stages in their education, employment or training.
Our CEIAG programme has been developed around the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks for Good Career Guidance. Greenfield Community College is proud to have been one of the initial pilot schools for the benchmarks and is recognised in helping to shape the delivery of these.
We are a member of the North-East Careers Hub and hold the Quality in Careers Standard award which showcases and supports the management of CEIAG.
CEIAG is delivered across all year groups as part of their ICT curriculum.
In Year 7 students are introduced to the CEIAG programme at Greenfield Community College.
• They will consider their own strengths and weaknesses and how these relate to the world of work.
• They will begin setting goals for their long-term plans in education and beyond and begin to put plans in place to achieve these.
• They will explore employment sectors using Labour Market Information (LMI) to identify areas of future growth.
• They will look at development and change, thinking about how they have grown as people and how their lives may look beyond Greenfield Community College
• They will look at gender roles and discuss stereotypes and the suitability for all different types of people to do different jobs.
In developing our CEIAG programme to meet the needs of our learners and support their career journey beyond Greenfield Community College, further work has been done to encourage students to select a destination that they will be able to sustain.
Student’s intended destinations are tracked and regularly discussed with them to ensure all students have a suitable Post-16 destination. This information is shared with Durham Works to provide additional support to students who may be at risk of becoming NEET.
Enterprise Adviser Network
Greenfield Community College is a member of the Enterprise Adviser Network through the North-East Local Enterprise Partnership. We work closely with our enterprise adviser from McDonald’s to ensure our CEIAG programme enables all of our students to develop the knowledge and skills required to meet employers’ demands.
The school uses the Compass Careers Tool to assess provision against the Gatsby benchmarks each Summer. Currently we judge ourselves to fully achieve 7 of the 8 benchmarks and are working on plans to fully achieve all 8.
Evaluation also takes place through student voice activities and as part of the school’s QA process.
Greenfield Community College uses the Future First alumni portal to engage with former students and welcomes the contribution that they can make to our current pupils.
Former students can join our network of supporters using this link: https://networks.futurefirst.org.uk/register/greenfield