Disability & Accessibility
Greenfield Community College is a caring, inclusive and creative school and actively seeks to promote the inclusion of students with SEND. We use our best endeavours to ensure that all students with SEN and disabilities are able to fully participate in the life of the school, both in their learning and in the wider provision and life of the school.
All schools have duties under the Equality Act 2010 towards individual disabled children and young people. They must make reasonable adjustments to prevent them being put at a substantial disadvantage. Schools also have wider duties to prevent discrimination, to promote equality of opportunity and to foster good relations’ (Quotations taken from the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years. Published June 2014 for implementation in September 2014.)
Adaptations and provisions are made for SEN and disabled students to enable them to participate in all school trips and other out of class activities.
Students with SEND are actively encouraged, supported and given opportunities to become involved with extra-curricular activities. For example, current students with SEND have been involved with the following clubs: lunchtime, breakfast and break time clubs, homework club, STEM club, sports clubs, and live performance events. SEND students have also participated in student panels for new members of staff, year 6 transition support and in the annual school production.
Existing facilities to assist physical access to the school
- Disabled toilet facilities are available on both school sites.
- Lifts and ramps on the Newton Aycliffe site support access.
- Appropriate external and internal doors enable wheelchair access.
- An accessible learning area is available on both school sites for students with a temporary impairment or medical condition, which prevents them accessing upstairs classrooms.
- We provide an accessible meeting room for parents/carers or visitors with a disability.
For further information you can view the Accessibility Plan